A Brief History of The Strong House
The grounds at the Strong House Inn
Samuel Paddock Strong built his house in 1834, in the Federal style with Greek Revival influences. Samuel was the son of General Samuel Strong who directed the Vermont militia at the Battle of Plattsburg during the War of 1812. He was also the grandson of John Strong, a local legislator and military leader as well as one of the first settlers of Addison County. Samuel Paddock Strong made his mark in business as President of the Bank of Vergennes and Director of the Rutland and Burlington railroad.
The Strong family passion for building grand houses is reflected in this elegant residence. Some of the prominent interior details of the house are the free-standing main staircase with curly maple railings, the black (seashell) marble fireplace in the morning room over which hangs a portrait of Samuel as a young man, and the elegant moldings and doors throughout. The house, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is considered one of the best-preserved Federal/Greek Revival homes in the area.